Monday, February 05, 2007

All grown up?

There use to be a time when the mention of going to a gun show would fill me with excitement and joy. The sights and smells and people of common interests conversing about guns or shooting without a care in the world or fear of being considered a crazy gun nut... After all at a gun show you were among fellow "brothers".

Back in the day it was a different feeling, a different vibe. We weren't at war, Columbine hadn't happen nor had the terror alerts begun. We were just some good old patriots reveling in our rights to bear arms. The assault weapons bans weren't so restrictive as yet and you could buy and find parts for all sorts of things for your gun of choice. You could handle displayed weapons, look for used combat fatigues, hunt for that needed accessory, and look through all sorts of paramilitary gadgetries whatever. I'd loved it. Everything. Common people, common interests, common goals. It was as good as Christmas except without the family drama.

I'm sad to say that I just went to the crossroads of the west gun show in orange county and I felt none of the excitement or energy that I had before. Again, maybe it's because of the internet. Nowerdays you can buy all sorts of stuff cheaply and from vasts distances. No need to wait for the gun show. Or maybe it's the war or the strict gun controls that make me remember how good it use to be and sadden because of the state we are in now. I can't help but feel sad to see how far we have gotten away from our past freedoms and how oppressive it's become.

I just don't know anymore. It doesn't make sense. I use to love going to the gun show. Now I feel nothing but a loss and sadness and perhaps a slight disinterest. Am I growing up? What's with this paradigm shift? Nobody told me. what changed. Certainly not my love for guns. Because I know once i'm out there shooting targets, i'll be giggling like a 4 year old... Or like beavis or butthead.

Maybe as I'm getting older I'm losing my idealism and my rose colored glasses are now coming off. I now realize that not all people view life and firearms as I do... with respect. That I don't have as much in common with the people at the show as I thought i did. That the show really doesn't have that much to offer me anymore.

I guess deep down I realize that I'm moving on and am mourning the event of me saying "bye" to the crossroads of the west.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home